The Amida-dō was originally built by Genchi, the second chief high priest of the Chion-in, in front of the Seishidō, but it was moved to its present location in 1710. Afterward, the building fell into disrepair, but was rebuilt as the present Amida-dō in 1910.
The primary image is a 2.7 meter tall statue of Amida. Those who worship Amida, who faces the east, send their prayers to the faraway Saihō Jōdo (Western Pure Land). This building exudes a tranquil air and today is used for all types of ceremonies, such as ordinations and Buddhist weddings.